As a special favor to The Buckeye Flame, Bitchy Vegan Homo himself Dave Huffman has provided us with an exclusive recipe. These Vegan Zucchini Muffins are sure to dazzle your next post-pandemic brunch or just be there for you to enjoy at your leisure.
Vegan Zucchini Muffins
Makes 8 muffins
- 10 oz flour (about 2 cups)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 7 oz brown sugar (about 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 6 Tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cup grated zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spray with Pam or well-grease a muffin tin.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves and whisk together. Set aside.
- In a small bowl add the water and flax seed. Stir and set aside to allow the flax gel up a bit to be used as the egg replacer. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the brown sugar, soy milk, oil and vanilla. Mix together with a whisk until well combined.
- Add the flax seed mixture and grated zucchini to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix!
- Fill each muffin tin to the top so you’ll have a nice “muffin top” when they bake. (Note that this recipe will make 8 muffins so you’ll have some empty spots in your tin. This doesn’t mean that you’re inadequate. I mean, it also doesn’t mean that you aren’t inadequate but that has nothing to due with muffin tin capacity.)
- Bake at 350° for 23 minutes. Test the muffins with a toothpick to see if they are done. If the toothpick doesn’t come out clean, bake for a few more minutes and test again.
- Remove the muffins from the tin immediately (and carefully). Cool the muffins completely on a wire rack.