The Buckeye Flame amplifies the voices of LGBTQ+ Ohioans to support community and civic empowerment through the creation of engaging content that chronicles our triumphs, struggles, and lived experiences.
The Buckeye Flame launched in June of 2020 as a 501c3 nonprofit newsroom, filling the lack of a statewide LGBTQ+ news and views platform in Ohio. With a Board and roster of writers comprised of LGBTQ+ and journalism luminaries from all across the state, the site quickly became a go-to source for original stories covering politics to policy to community celebrations.
Awards & Accolades
Recognition for our work has included:
- Ohio Society of Professional Journalists:
- First Place “Specialized Journalism Site” category (2021)
- First Place “Best Criticism/Editorial” category (2020)
- Second Place in “Best Explanatory Journalism” category (2021)
- Second Place in the “Best Social Issues Reporting” category (2021)
- NLGJA: Association of LGBTQ+ Journalists Sarah Pettit Memorial Award for the LGBTQ Journalist of the Year (2021)
- Kenyon College Outstanding Community Partner Award (2022)
- City of Cleveland & the LGBT Community Center of Greater Cleveland Heritage Award for Advocacy and Activism (2021)
The Buckeye Flame is a proud member of: