The Buckeye Flame is searching for a motivated staff writer to join our reporting efforts.
The Buckeye Flame is Ohio’s only statewide LGBTQ+ news and views platform. This staff writer will work with our editor to produce content that fulfills our mission of amplifying the voices of LGBTQ+ Ohioans to support community and civic empowerment through the creation of engaging content that chronicles triumphs, struggles, and lived experiences of LGBTQ+ Ohioans.
The Buckeye Flame staff writer can expect to work an average of 40 hours per week. This 2-year contract position can be worked remotely from anywhere in Ohio. Position pays $42,000/year with an additional stipend for healthcare and two weeks of paid rest.
Consider applying if you have:
- Keen interest in engaging with sources, documents, data, and other journalistic tools to develop, report, and tell stories about LGBTQ+ issues and individuals in Ohio.
- Passion for explaining LGBTQ+ issues to a wider audience, exploring solutions, and holding leaders accountable.
- Flexibility to write breaking LGBTQ+ news around the state while digging into deeper projects.
- A commitment to developing cultural competence: the awareness and knowledge to ensure that our reporting agenda reflects the diversity of Ohio’s LGBTQ+ people and communities, and the communication skills to collaborate across lines of difference.
- A questioning mind and track record of storytelling. Prior journalism experience is a definite plus, but it’s not a requirement.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, solid journalistic judgment, and a collaborative spirit.
- Self-discipline to work independently, as well as an eagerness to work with teammates and local partner reporters on collaborative projects.
- A radical vision for what journalism can look like, who it serves, and whose voices are amplified.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, please don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people, and people with disabilities.
- E-mail to email@example.com (with the subject line “Staff Writer Application”):
- A resumé
- Several examples of your writing or storytelling work attached as pdfs.
- Answers to the following three prompts via this online form:
- One LGBTQ+ story that you have helped tell or initiative you helped create about which you are super proud (no more than 250 words)
- An LGBTQ+ story you have always wanted to tell but haven’t yet had the opportunity to do so (no more than 250 words)
- One project that didn’t turn out the way you originally intended and what you learned from that experience. (no more than 250 words)
Applications will be accepted until February 1st. 🔥
- An info session for this position will be held on Wednesday, January 19th at 7pm to answer any questions you might have about the position. RSVP here to attend. Attendance at the info session is not mandatory for application.
This opportunity is made possible by the wonderful support of the Cleveland Foundation.