Happy Pride Month! However you exist in your gender and sexual orientation journey, I’m so grateful for you and proud you’re here.
Here are some Pride Month hacks to have June be a place of respite and not a place of stress this month.
- LGBTQ+ people probably have all the rainbow gear they need. Thank you.
- If you only wear rainbow items in June, talk about LGBTQ+ things in June to show you’re an ally, check your stuff. Your capitalism and privilege is showing.
- Your LGBTQ+ friends may have a lot of bookings/appearances and visibility can be anxiety producing and exhausting. We show up for lots of reasons, so respect the response time if you are reaching out asking for an appearance or anything really. Check why you are reaching out THIS month specifically.
- Please don’t out anyone or tell anyone’s story for them. Don’t assume anything about intersections or identity unless someone tells you. Share your pronouns first and ask for pronouns…and respect and remember the answer folx give you.
- Tokenism is when we get our ‘one gay friend’ to do something. Aht, Aht…don’t do that.
- It’s a lot about relationships. If you have a reciprocal relationship your Queer friends will be more likely to answer questions/engage in discussion. Before you ask though, why this month has your LGBTQ+ interest peaked all of a sudden?
- If someone shares something vulnerable about their gender or sexual orientation, thank them. Ask if there is any other way you can support in this moment. And stop talking.
- Buy from Queer/LGBTQ+ owned and Black owned business…this month and all year round. Make sure your turn around time is reasonable, cause it’s busy…cause June capitalism…so don’t be that person.
- Don’t individually call folks Queer unless they specifically identify as such. It hits different for different folks.
- Center Black and Brown trans, non-binary, non-gender conforming folx. Their experiences will help you care about the right things in terms of safety and general inclusion. We want everyone to win. The right way. Trust me on that.
- Don’t ask people about their surgeries or their parts unless they offer up the conversation…it’s weird…unless you trying to holla, then it’s only kinda weird if they’re interested back…nuance. Why do you care about that…no seriously…WHY DO YOU CARE ABOUT THAT?!
- Trans women are women; Trans men are men; Gender diverse people exist Non-Binary and Non Gender Conforming people exist and we know when it is clear that we are not recognized and affirmed.
- You can say them instead of she/he and him/her. Use words like siblings, family, folx, people, y’all…when referring to a group of people or individuals who you don’t know their pronouns yet.
- Celebrate LGBTQ+ people all year round.